You’re mad. Bonkers. Off your head. But I’ll tell you a secret; all the best people are.

- Alice in Wonderland

Saturday, October 17, 2009

We aren't supposed to color!

Yesterday I subbed for a third grade class. They were wild and rambunctious kids. Some of them would get done early with an assignment and ask me what they could do. I mentioned that they could color... Boy, they just love that idea. HOWEVER, they were quite scared to do it. One student came up to me and was like, "If someone walks in we, will get into trouble if they see us coloring." My heart just broke. Apparently, now days kids aren't supposed to color in schools. WHAT THE X? What happened to developing their artistic ability? What a bunch of crap! Students are just supposed to learn what is going to be on a standardized test... There is more to life than standardized test, people!!!! I think I am a pretty smart person, but I am terrible at testing. Most of the kids couldn't focus long enough to really sit through the assignments. This is my theory: because they don't get the opportunity to express themselves through other activities, such as art, they are going stir crazy! You should have seen their faces when I said they could color... they lit up and were so happy!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just so you know, you are totally implying WTF even more so when you put WHAT THE X.

I agree with you 100%. When stupid budget cuts take away art, music, theatre, etc in schools it takes away an outlet for students to release their emotions, feelings, and such and therefore in the long run the school system just creates stressed out adults, depressed adults, overpressured adults, etc etc etc. Sad sad sad.

lindsy said...

You light up my life. I LOVE coloring! I'm glad you gave those kids a reason to shine. They'll love you, Miss Stoddard.